Formerly home to brothels, Cais de Sodré mainly attracted sailors coming off the boat looking for some action – bars were named for European capitals from where those sailors hailed. Gone are the brothels and in their stead are hip clubs, trendy cafes, and some of the newest restaurants in town. Digital nomads that call Cais de Sodré home are attracted to its nightlife, good food, and riverside spots to relax in the sun.
Cais do Sodré is a transport hub where you can catch easily catch metro, bus or train. The Cais do Sodré metro stop is the starting point of the Green line, which intersects with the other three Lisbon metro lines. From Cais do Sodré you can also catch the Cascais line along the river to the city of Cascais and its beautiful beaches. If those can’t get you where you need to be, there are numerous buses, i.e. the 210, 706, 728, 735, and more, that ensure you are well connected with the rest of the city.
Highlights: To see
- O Rio Tagus: Relax on this urban riverside beach, great for watching the ferries, selfies with the 25th of April bridge, and recovering from your hangover
- Jardim Dom Luis: Watch the travelers and locals, alike, coming and going from the market while relaxing in the sun
- The people: strategically place yourself on one of the balconies above the Pink Street to have the best view of the night’s action
Highlights: To experience
- Time Out Market: Eat to your heart’s content at this fashionable food court, which contains outposts of some of the best restaurants in town – the hardest part is choosing!
- Mercado da Ribeira: Stroll among the food stalls and stock up on local fruits, vegetables, flowers, meat, and, of course, fish at one of the oldest, traditional markets in town, right next to the Time Out Market
- Rua Cor-de-Rosa (Pink Street): Party your night away on the famous Pink Street in a variety of clubs and bars – at least one drink at the Pensão Amor, a former brothel with a few memories left behind, is mandatory
- MusicBox: Follow the music to this club tucked under the bridge of the Pink Street for great DJ sets and live music